Writing Dialogue for Short Plays -- some examples




Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Three Strangers3



Joe
Hey, don’t I know you?  You look familiar to me.  I’m not coming on to you, or nothing.  You already made that clear, you don’t want no attention.  No at-ten-sions paid to you.  It’s just that, I come by here a lot, and I got a good memory for faces.  You look familiar to me.  Have we met? 

(Woman opens her purse and applies lipstick without the aid of a mirror.  Joe moves one stool closer.) 

Joe
Do you know Mickey, uh...  You know, what’s-his-name.  The one with the scar on his cheek.  Yeah, that’s him.  Mickey something.  You know him?  I think I seen you before with him. 

(Mac returns with the ice cream, and stares Joe down.  Woman eats while Mac closely watches her.)

Joe
Hey, Mac, you remember Mickey something.  The guy with the cheek scar.  Got a rep around these parts as a grifter.  Ran that used-car scam a couple years back.

What’s his last name, now?  You gotta help me out here.

Mac
(To Joe.)
You finished there?  ‘Cause if you’re done, you can leave anytime.


Joe
Give me a refill.  Just trying to make some talk.  Geez, can’t a guy ask a question around here?

(Mac pours his coffee, goes back to the woman.)

Woman
Good ice cream.  Clears the palate.

Mac
Yeah, sure does. 
(Handles the book.)
So, uh, you say this here’s a good book?  Action-adventure.


Woman
You would like it.  Really, you would.  You know, exotic locales, lots of jeopardy.  Good chase scene.

Mac
Yeah?  Jeopardy, huh?

Woman
Yeah, a real good story.

Joe
I gotta take a whiz.

(Joe exits.)

Woman
Give me the check, Mac.

(Mac smiles when she uses his name.  Woman shifts provocatively while she looks in her purse.)

Woman
 (Glances in her purse.)
Oh, no.  Oh, for goodness sake.  I didn’t bring my wallet.  My ID, my cash, everything.  My ATM card.  Didn’t bring them.  Still sitting out on my dresser.  Silly me. 
 
Listen, can I pay you tomorrow?  I live not far from here.  Do you mind?

Mac
No, I guess it would be alright.  Tomorrow, you say?

Woman
It’s a date.  And just to be sure. 

(She places a big lipstick kiss on the check.)
 
Woman
That’s my guarantee. 
 (She stands, pause.)

But one thing.  I’m sorry to impose on you here.  So embarrassing.  I have no cash. 


Would you...  could you see your way clear to loaning me twenty dollars?  Just until tomorrow.  I can pay you then, the check and the twenty.  I need to get home.

Mac
Sure, why not?

(Mac gives her money from his pocket.  Woman gets up and smoothes her skirt, ready to leave.)

Woman
You’re a peach, Mac.  A real gentleman.  And you’re going to love that book.  Really. 

(The woman exits, walking with a slight limp.  Joe enters from the side.)

Woman
(While exiting.)
So Long, Mac!

(Mac and Joe watch her exit.)