Writing Dialogue for Short Plays -- some examples




Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Three Strangers


Scene:  (A well-dressed woman sits over her sandwich plate at the counter of a small diner reading the last few pages of a thick paperback.  She’s twisted in her seat to decorously cross her legs.  A cook named Mac wearing a white apron over jeans and
t-shirt works behind the counter.)


Mac
More coffee?

Woman
No, thank you.

Mac
You want I should wrap that to go?

Woman
Uuummm, I may take another bite here.  I’m just trying to finish this story.  You know how it is.   How you get near the end and need to see how it turns out.

Mac
Yeah, sure.

Woman
A cliffhanger, you know?

Mac
Ah, I got the diner here.  I don’t got much time for paperbacks.

(Woman goes back to reading.  Enter Joe who sits at a stool four down from the woman.  Mac joins him.)

Joe
Hey, Mac.

Mac
Yeah, how’s by you?  You want coffee?

Joe
Yeah, sure.
(Indicates the woman.)
Whose package?

Mac
A free agent, I guess.  You eating?

Joe
Dressed awful nice for around here. 
No offense, but she’s a cut above your regular clientele.  You seen her before?

Mac
You eating, or what?

Joe
Where’s Doris?

Mac
Out sick.

Joe
She’s out sick, huh?  Not here tonight?  You’re working sui generis?  Heh, heh.  That’s a good one, sui generis.

Mac
You gonna order?

Joe
How’s the pie?  You got a slice of that apple pie?  Is it fresh? 
(Louder, playing to the woman.) 
I don’t want no pie that’s green around the edges.  No green pie for me, heh, heh.

Mac
There’s pie, came in this morning.  You want some, or what?

Joe
Yeah, give me the pie.  But look, heat it up, okay?  Kill off that green bacteria.  Just nuke it for a minute. 

(Mac leaves to get the pie.)

Joe
(To the woman.)
How about that guy, huh?  Can’t take the time to heat up my slice of pie. 
(Louder, challenging absent Mac.) 
Can’t take a whole minute out of his life to pop my slice of pie into the microwave.  Too much trouble.  (more)

(Woman reads.  Joe moves one stool closer to her.)

Joe
I’m Joe.  I come in here all the time.  This is a regular stop for me.  That’s my rig there. 

Yessirrie, a million-dollar rig.  It ain’t mine, of course.  I’m just the driver.  Licensed and bonded.  Making the long hauls.  That’s me.  My boss’ best man, trusted with the million-dollar rig for the long hauls.  So, ah, wha’chu driving?
(Pause.)
So, wha’chu reading there?  Must be a great book.  En-gros-sing, huh? 

(The woman glances at him.) 

Joe
Hi, I’m Joe. 

(She goes back to reading.)

Joe
Yeah, okay.  I get the picture.  Too good for drivers, uh?  There in your silky blouse and your long coat and your pan-ty-hose. 

(The woman stares him down.  Mac enters with the pie.)